The Presidential Strategic research center was established in 1989. Based on the article of association of this center, the defence affairs deputy was predicted which was headed by the chief of general staff of the armed forces.
With beginning of such deputy, because of classification of military information, the transmission and access to such information emerged problems.
Various meeting were held for tackling such problems with the presence of then chiefs of general staff and the Center which eventually led to the separation of defence deputy from presidential strategic research center and it became an independent center.
According to prescriptions of supreme Commander in-chief of armed forces, the following items were implemented in 3/14/1990.
- The center for strategic defence research was established under subordination of supreme commander in-chief of armed forces and was headed by the chief of general staff affiliated to the general staff of armed forces.
- All documents and study records of ex-defence affairs deputy in presidential strategic research center were transmitted to the new center.
- This center used the practical regulations of presidential strategic research center during the process of the preparation and adoption of itself regulations. Following the said adoption, the center for strategic defence research began its activities officially in 3/28/1991.
After conducting Comprehensive Studies, draft Article of association and establishment of center were adopted by supreme Commander- in chief of armed forces. According to adopted article of association, this center is active under supervision of policy making council.
The main elements of center are as follows:
- Chairman of center
- Secretary general
- Research deputy
- Technology, plan and program deputy.
- Administration and financial deputy
There are 6 research groups at this center as follows:
- International and surrounding environmental study
- Strategies and doctrine.
- Strategic management and human resources.
- Supply and defence technology
- Resources and defence economy.